Thursday, August 27, 2009

Day 39





Well, it's 1:44 AM on Friday, but I did promise pics. Here are some of the pics I took of the Couple Sculpture I made in solid mahogany.

I started out with a rough cut out in 12/4 rough sawn mahogany.
I then carved the profiles out closer to the desired shape, and then
I used a Dremel with various carving and sanding drums to shape the faces, heads,
hair (on the female of course) etc.
Once I had the shapes and lines I wanted I finished sanded with 300 and 500 grit micron
paper then covered the piece in Tongue Oil. the finish is a little dry here and in need of
more oil but you get a good idea of the beauty of the grain when you compare the pics in
natural light as well as the flood that is apparent with the flash.

My Basswood pieces will be much brighter and should have a golden tone to the grains
once it receives it's finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment